What you find on this page:
Noise cancellation on the Airpod Pro is an excellent option for blocking background noise at work or when taking a call.
In this article, you’ll find the best solutions to the problem AirPod Pro noise cancellation not working. You’ll also learn how to turn on AirPods pro’s noise canceling.
AirPods Noise Cancellation Not Working? Ways to Fix
Is your AirPods noise canceling not working correctly, and you’re frustrated? You can use several methods to resolve the issue. Here they are:
1. Check AirPods Settings
Active Noise Cancellation has three modes that can be selected in the device’s preferences. However, Active Noise Cancellation must be turned on for this function to work.
Follow these steps to ensure Active Noise Cancellation is working correctly:
If you’re using an iPad or iPhone:
- On your iOS device, launch the Settings app.
- After selecting Bluetooth, tap the info icon next to your AirPods Pro.
- In the Airpods menu, select Noise Control for both the Left and Right options.
- Using your AirPods Pro, press the Force Sensor to switch to Noise Cancellation.
Alternatively, you can access this functionality via the iPhone’s Control Center. Pressing and holding the volume button will bring up a context menu. Within the three settings, you will find Noise Cancellation.
If you’re a Mac user:
- From the menu bar, select volume.
- Click “Extended” after selecting your AirPods Pro from the list of devices.
- Finally, select the Noise Cancellation menu option to activate the feature.
After checking your settings to ensure the feature is enabled, you should be good to go. If that doesn’t work, try the following techniques.
2. Re-Enable Noise Cancellation
The Noise Cancellation mode on AirPods may not work for you, so switch to another noise-control mode and then back again to see if it works. There are various settings for noise reduction on the AirPods Pro.
To activate AirPods Pro, you must insert both AirPods into your ears and press and hold the Force Sensor on any of the AirPod. You will then see Transparency Mode as soon as you have completed this step. Once again, press and hold the Force Sensor to return to Noise Cancellation.
If you want to choose between Noise Cancellation and Transparency, press “Noise Control.”
In addition, Apple devices allow you to toggle between the Noise Cancellation and Transparency modes of the AirPods remotely. So, with both AirPods in your ears, follow these steps:
Switch AirPods Noise Cancellation on iOS Devices
Just pair the AirPods with your iOS device by following these simple instructions:
- Go to your device’s settings menu and tap the AirPods symbol next to Bluetooth.
- Select the AirPods info button.
- To disable the AirPods’ noise cancellation feature, select Off or Transparency in the “Noise Control” section.
- Select Noise Cancellation again after a short pause.
- The AirPods’ noise reduction setting is also accessible via the Control Center on your mobile device.
- Swipe down from the screen’s upper right corner to access the Notch View on an iPhone. The same method can be used to access the iPad’s Settings. To access the Home screen on an iPhone or iPod touch with a physical button, swipe up from the bottom of the screen.
- Select Noise Cancellation by pressing and holding the volume control, then tapping the Noise Control icon.
- Attempt turning off the noise control and selecting Noise Cancellation again if it isn’t working.
Switch AirPods Noise Cancellation on Mac
- You can activate noise cancellation by clicking the AirPods menu item in the menu bar.
- Launch Mac’s System Preferences and expand the Sound section.
- The AirPods’ noise reduction settings can be accessed by extending the menu.
- Choose “Off” to turn off the noise reduction feature. Then, ensure your AirPods are blocking noise by selecting Noise Cancellation again.
Switch AirPods Noise Cancellation on Apple Watch
- You may toggle the AirPods’ noise cancellation on and off using the Apple Watch.
- Use the music player’s AirPlay button (usually found at the player’s bottom right) to stream your music wirelessly.
- Turn off the sound suppression feature with a tap. You can restart active noise canceling by waiting a few seconds and tapping Noise Cancellation.
3. Clean the AirPods
Cleaning your AirPods can increase their volume, improve their functionality, and extend their lifespan.
However, if your AirPods are having problems with Noise Cancellation, you can fix them without thoroughly cleaning them. You should pay attention to the mesh at the top of the AirPods Pro.
Noise Cancellation microphones are hidden beneath the mesh and point outward. It won’t be able to eliminate background noise as long as there are foreign objects on the mesh. It might be the cause of your AirPods Pro’s ineffective noise cancellation.
- Use a dry cotton swab to remove dirt, earwax, and debris from the mesh.
- Use a soft-bristled brush to remove any earwax or filth embedded in the mesh.
- Microphone mesh should not be cleaned with sharp objects, abrasive materials, liquid solutions, or water.
Check out Apple’s official advice on maintaining your AirPods for more details.
4. Update the Paired Device
When using AirPods, updating the software on your iOS device or computer is recommended.
- To update to the most recent version of iOS or iPadOS, tap Settings > General > Software Update.
- Select Update Now or Upgrade Now from System Preferences > Software Update to update your Mac.
- If your AirPods’ Noise Cancellation feature stops working solely on your Apple Watch, an operating system update may solve the problem.
5. Do the Ear Fit Tip Test
Examine how well the ear tip fits your ear. To receive the best possible noise cancellation performance from your AirPods Pro, it’s essential to pass the ear fit tip test.
All AirPods Pro comes with three different-sized ear tips. However, the AirPods Pro’s Active Noise Cancellation function won’t work if the ear tip is too loosely fitted, so make sure it fits snugly in your ear before turning it on.
Follow these directions to ensure your AirPods Pro is a good fit for your ears.
- Put the AirPods Pro in your ear.
- The next step is to open the Bluetooth settings on your iOS device.
- Click the information icon next to your AirPods Pro’s name.
- Select the Ear Tip Fit Test menu item, hit Continue, and finally press Play.
- After that, it recommends experimenting with a different ear tip size or setting.
- The final step is to keep going through Steps 4 and 5 until you have the best possible test result.
Ensure your new AirPods Pro fit snugly in your ears; only then do they deliver optimal sound quality by canceling ambient noise.
You should ensure that your AirPods Pro ear tips fit snugly and comfortably in your ear canals. If the noise cancellation doesn’t work properly, try a different size of the medium ear tips that come with the AirPods Pro.
The noise-canceling feature of both AirPods may not work properly when using the same ear tips. Depending on the shape of your ear canals, you may need to swap out the ear tips on both AirPods to find a comfortable fit. Apple’s support website can find more information about which ear tips work with AirPods Pro.
6. Put Earbuds in the Case
There have been some reports of customers being able to use Active Noise Cancellation again after recharging their AirPods Pro in their carrying case.
7. Reset the Device
A malfunction can alter a device’s settings. However, you may be able to fix this problem by repairing your AirPods Pro with your preferred device.
Here are some things you can do:
- You should first return the AirPods Pro to their carrying case. Then, after 30 seconds, remove the top.
- By accessing your iOS device’s preferences, you can enable Bluetooth.
- After selecting AirPods Pro, hit the I icon and select Forget This Device.
- Afterward, press and hold the Setup button on your AirPods Pro case until the status light blinks amber.
- Select Connect on the next screen to pair your AirPods Pro with your iOS device.
- To complete pairing, simply follow the on-screen instructions.
8. Get in Touch With Apple Support.
According to Apple, some AirPods Pro produced before October 2020 are defective and may have audio problems.
Defect devices can produce crackling or static sounds in noisy situations or while on the phone. In addition to the loss of bass, Active Noise Cancellation also fails.
Give them a call if you own a pair of AirPods Pro and want to know if they qualify for Apple’s service program. You should also visit an Apple Store or Authorized Service Provider.
AirPods Pro noise-canceling not working brand new
Update the software on your linked iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac. Also, ensure Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) is enabled on your AirPods Pro.
Take off the mesh from the top of your AirPods Pro. If debris or earwax accumulates in the mesh, Active Noise Cancellation may be compromised. So you have to clean them.
If this occurs, you may encounter:
- A reduction in bass sound
- Increased background noise, such as traffic or airplane noise
Visit the Service Center if Active Noise Cancellation is still not working properly.
AirPods Pro noise-canceling not working on Android
Turning on noise canceling is easy on Android if you know the steps. Here are the steps.
Step 1: Turn Android’s Bluetooth on. Take out the AirPods from their case. Long-press the case’s circular button. “AirPods Pro” will appear in your phone’s Bluetooth menu. Select AirPods to connect your phone to AirPods pro.
Step 2: Once linked to your android device, the AirPods Pro’s touch-sensitive buttons will start working. You may now enjoy AirPods pro features like active noise cancellation. Touch-sensitive buttons activate Active Noise Cancelling. “Press and hold” toggles AirPods pro noise cancellation.
Step 3: If your AirPods pro were previously connected to an iPhone, unpair them. AirPods won’t connect to Android otherwise.
AirPods Pro noise-canceling is not working in one ear
To fix AirPods Pro not working in one ear, follow these steps:
- Ensure that your charging case is fully charged.
- Put both AirPods into the charging case and wait for 30 seconds.
- Disassemble the charging dock and place it next to your iOS device.
- Be sure to insert both AirPods.
- To ensure that both AirPods are functioning properly, play some audio.
- Don’t hesitate to contact Apple Support if resetting your AirPods doesn’t fix the problem.
We have compiled the list of causes and solutions for Airpods Pro noise cancellation not working in this article. Hopefully, you will find this article useful.
Check your AirPod pro’s settings, updates, cleanliness, and position if you experience problems with noise cancellation. Then, ensure that the necessary steps are taken.
If the steps we have described fail to serve you, try contacting the service provider.
Do AirPods lose noise canceling over time?
Even though it is not common, there are some chances of it happening. For example, it has been reported that the noise cancellation of the AirPods Pro has degraded following a software update in 2019.
As of 2021, Apple corrected this problem, but if you are still experiencing issues with the ANC, ensure you have the latest version of AirPods’ software.
Why can I still hear a noise with noise Cancelling headphones?
There is a buildup of air pressure between your eardrum and your headphones. Due to the air between your audio device and the eardrum, noise-canceling technology may not work perfectly.
How do I check AirPod performance?
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the performance of AirPods will vary depending on your device and usage. However, some tips to help improve AirPod’s performance include using them frequently and charging them regularly.
How do I know if my AirPods Pro is working properly?
There are several ways to check if your AirPods Pro is working properly. First, ensure that your AirPods Pro is connected to your Apple device and works as it should.
Another way is to use the AirPods app to check the battery level and see if it charges without any problem. Finally, the sound performance should be up to the mark.