Is your Amana Fridge having troubles? Well, say no more.
This guide will help you fix all the underlying issues with your fridge. Here are all the Amana fridge troubleshooting problems and solutions.
However, if your Amana fridge stops working and their support takes some time to get to your place. You can perform some troubleshooting steps to sort out these issues so the fridge can work as quickly as possible.
Amana Fridge Troubleshooting Problems
Amana Fridge Not Cooling
If your fridge temperature is not as cold as it should be or not cold at all, it can damage the food inside. There can be several reasons behind it, like:
- Check that your fridge is turned on manually. Sometimes, the fridge can get turned off due to a sudden power outage or get turned off accidentally. Check its manual or guide to check how to turn on and off your fridge.
- Look at your controls and ensure they are turned on to check the setting. Generally, the control preset is set to medium. Try adjusting the temperature by lowering it down. It is suggested to wait 24 hours to see the results of this setting.
- If your fridge is placed next to a heat source, like a microwave or radiator, it is recommended to change its place to get the best result.
- Please review the fridge’s settings to ensure it is not set on Showroom or Demo mode. These modes are used for displaying the fridge to buyers. Turn it off if you accidentally turned this feature on. Use the guide to find these settings.
- Connect your fridge to a separate circuit if you want the best outcomes. Plug the cord into a ground electric supply. Check its requirements for 115 Volt, 60 Hz, and 15 to 20-amp fused.
Amana Refrigerator Is Not Cooling, But The Freezer Is Working
Refrigerators are used to strengthen the lifespan of our fruits and vegetables or to store leftover food. However, that only works if the freezer provides the right temperature and cooling. These are the issues with workarounds to get the desired cooling from Amana Refrigerator.
- The motor fan of the freezer is used to circulate the cold air flow around the coils. If it stops, the refrigerator will not offer optimal cooling. To check the fan, try moving its blade manually. If they feel jammed, then the motor needs to be replaced. And if the machine makes loud noises, it needs to be changed along with the blades to get the best results.
- If the refrigerator’s evaporator coils are frozen, it can impact its cooling. That is directly connected to a defrost heater. Its job is to melt the abundant frost on the evaporator coils. If the coils are frozen, your refrigerator’s defrost system needs to be inspected.
- The temperature control board’s function is to provide the needed electricity to the compressor and fan motor. After malfunctioning, the board will stop sending the electricity, leading the refrigerator’s cooling to stop working. It is recommended to check what’s causing this issue before replacing the complete board.
- The control board provides the power to the evaporator and compressor based on the reading of the Thermistor. If the Thermistor of a refrigerator breaks down, its reading will not be accurate. Use a multimeter to check whether your Thermistor is working fine or not.
- The Air Damper allows the required air to reach into a refrigerator. Check if the damper of your Amana refrigerator is broken or stuck.
Amana Fridge Water Dispenser Not Working
The water dispenser is a very convenient feature found in Amana Fridges. If your fridge’s water dispenser is not working, you can try these methods:
- To confirm that the water supply tube is not frozen, detach the tube from the bottom of the door and blow air in it. The issue lies in the supply tube if it is not letting the air pass through. Defrost the pipe by warming it to resolve this issue.
- If the water pressure is low from the housing supply or the water inlet valve is defective, then the water valve will not open. The water pressure to the valve must be selected to at least 20psi to work effectively. You can use a multimeter to use the water inlet valve for its pressure.
- Check the dispenser switches with a multimeter to check continuity. The required voltage will not be transferred to the dispenser if there is any defective switch.
- Keep the water filter unblocked. You can do so by replacing the water filter every six months. It prevents blockage issues and allows you to keep the quality intact.
- The Door Switch function is to turn off the water dispenser when refrigerator doors open. It will not turn on the water dispenser if there are any underlying defects. You can ensure it does not happen by inspecting it with a multimeter.
- If all the things in your dispenser are not working correctly, then the Dispenser Control board might be at fault. It is recommended to verify all other parts before replacing the Dispenser Control Board.
Amana Fridge Ice Maker or Dispenser Not working
If your Amana Fridge’s ice maker or dispenser is not working as it should be, there can be some issues like:
- Ensure that the ice maker is turned on and the water supply is connected to a cold supply.
- Ice does not clog the ejector’s arm and the chute. If it is jammed, try cleaning it with a warm piece of cloth.
- If the door of the fridge keeps opening frequently, then the ice maker will not have enough time required to freeze.
- Try lowering the temperature of the fridge.
Amana Fridge Not Defrosting
The defrosting process ensures that a fridge’s operating efficiency is maintained, as it periodically removes the excess frost and Ice. If your Amana Fridge is not defrosting, it can be due to:
- The Defrost timer turns on the heater that defrosts all the excess frost over evaporator coils throughout the day. To check the defrost timer, gradually advance the dial into defrost cycle. If it does not send the power within 30 minutes, it indicates that the defrost timer needs replacement.
- Check the defrost heater assembly using a multimeter. If it shows no continuity, the defrost heater assembly should be replaced.
- The defrost thermostat function is to monitor the temperature of evaporator coils. Keep in mind that the thermostat will not provide power to the defrost heater if it has any problems. To inspect the defrost thermostat, you can use a multimeter.
- It is up to the Defrost control board to determine how often the defrost cycle should run. If the defrost thermostat and heater are working fine, check the defrost control board. Sometimes, that’s the component causing issues.
Amana Fridge Noisy or Loud
If your Amana Fridge becomes lousy, it is important to take a little time to find out the reason behind this issue. The noises can be caused due to:
- If the fridge’s door has been open for five minutes and the cooling is on, the alarm will start ringing until the door closes.
- If your fridge has an ice maker and it’s making a clicking sound, it can be due to not being connected to a water supply.
- When the fans or compressor adjust their performances, they generate a high-pitched noise.
- A gurgling sound is heard from the fridge after the cooling cycle ends due to the refrigerator that flows through the tubes.
- Your fridge can make a hissing sound during the defrost cycle due to the water dripping onto the defrost heater.
Amana Bottom Freezer Refrigerator Not Cooling
If the bottom freezer refrigerator of your Amana Fridge is not cooling, there doing these methods:
- Make sure the refrigerator is turned on
- Check the controls are set correctly
- The refrigerator is not in the Showroom mood
- Make sure that the power cord that is attached
Amana Refrigerator Compressor Not Working
If your Amana refrigerator compressor is not working, the possible reasons are:
- The power supply could be damaged; check if there is fraying on the wire or burns.
- Check the condenser fan, which is usually located behind the compressor, and run a continuity test with a multimeter.
- The coils are uncleaned. You can clean them with a vacuum cleaner and a condenser brush.
Amana Fridge Dispensing Warm Water
There could be a few reasons your Amana Fridge is dispending only warm water.
- If it’s the first glass of water from the dispenser, it might not be cold because many refrigerators run the dispensing water line outside the product to avoid freezing the main waterline.
- The water needs some time to chill; it starts to get warmer if you dispense several cold water glasses.
- Keep the unit connected to a cold water line.
Amana Refrigerators Repairs
Clean Condenser Coil
It is recommended to read the manual before cleaning the condenser coil of your Amana Refrigerators. As some models’ coils do not require cleaning, if your refrigerators are not on that list, let’s start the cleaning process.
Step 1: Unplug the Refrigerator
Step 2: Remove the base grille after opening both of the refrigerators’ doors
Step 3: Clean the grille using a vacuum cleaner with a soft brush.
Step 4: Replace the base grille by lining the support tabs with the clips and pushing the grille until it snaps back to its place
Step 5: Reconnect the Refrigerator
Check Condensor Fan
The condenser fan of Amana’s Refrigerator draws air through the condenser coil, and if it is not working, the whole refrigerator will stop cooling properly.
To check the Condensor Fan, try moving the fan blades manually first. If they are moving easily without jamming, test the condenser fan motor using a multimeter to check the continuity.
Amana Refrigerator Evaporator Fan Motor Replacement
Step 1: Pull the power plug of your refrigerator and remove all the items within it.
Step 2: Remove the evaporator cover by removing the screws from the bottom part of the refrigerator
Step 3: Pull the evaporator fan motor forward and disconnects the wire connecting it.
Step 4: Replace the Evaporator Fan Motor
Step 5: Connect the wire with the Fan motor that we disconnected earlier
Step 6: Place the cover and plug on the refrigerator
Check start-relay & Power Supply Issue
If the start-relay of your Amana Refrigerator is damaged, it will start heating up with clicking sounds. To make sure it’s the start-relay that is causing the issue, follow these steps:
Step 1: Disconnect the Refrigerator
Step 2: Detach the connectors of the relay
Step 3: Find the relay’s model to determine the required voltage and frequency.
Step 3: Use a multimeter to find the continuity; if the continuity is not available, then the start-relay needs replacing
If the power supply does not provide the required power, the refrigerator will not function properly. To check if the power supply is optimal, try these methods.
- Check if the power cord of the refrigerator is in good condition or not
- If there are any burn marks on the wire or fraying, replace it immediately
- To find if the outlet is working fine or not, connect another electric appliance
- Check the fuses and the circuits breaker
Amana refrigerator temperature setting
To check your Amana Refrigerator temperature setting are optimized, follow these steps:
- By default, the temperature setting of refrigerators is set to mid setting
- If your refrigerator is not cooling, you can lower the temperature
- It will take 24 hours to convert to the new temperature fully and provide results
- Ensure your refrigerator is not set on “Showroom or Demo Mode.”
Check start Capacitor
To check the start capacitor of your refrigerator to determine whether it is working, follow these three simple steps.
- Unplug the power and turn off your refrigerator
- Wait for 30 mins before taking out the capacitor.
- Use a multimeter to check the continuity of the capacitor. If there is a continuity problem, the capacitor needs replacement.
A thermistor senses the temperature inside the refrigerator, and the electronic board uses thermistor signals to control the refrigerator temperature. To check if the Thermistor is working fine, follow these steps.
- Drop down the control box located at the top of your refrigerator
- Examine the wires of the Thermistor to check if there are any loose or damaged wires.
- Use a multimeter to check the resistance of the Thermistor
- Check If the resistance is according to your regulator model, which can be found in the manual
Amana Refrigerator Compressor Reset
To reset the Amana refrigerator compressor, follow these simple steps:
- Unplug your refrigerator for 5-10 mins
- Turn off the fridge and freezer by using the control panel found inside the fridge. Set controls to ‘Zero.’
- Plug back your refrigerator into the socket.
- Now reset the temperature settings according to your model, which is generally between 4 or 5 for 1-10 settings.
- Wait for at least 24 hours to notice the desired results in your refrigerator.
Adjust the level of the refrigerator
A leveled refrigerator can overcome serious issues, like frost buildup, vibration, door not closing properly, and temperature fluctuations, among many others. Here’s how you can level your Amana refrigerator.
- Release the clips by pulling the toe grille down on the bottom of your refrigerator.
- Insert a pencil into the cover’s notch to remove the bottom bracket covers. Press downward, and pull to remove it.
- Get a spirit level and place it on the fridge.
- Use a text screwdriver to insert into the foot-screw holes. You can identify these holes as they are present closest to the side of the fridge.
- Try raising or lowering the feet until the spirit bubble. Ensure it is ½ or ¼ inches higher than your fridge’s back.
Amana Refrigerator Control Board Troubleshooting
The Control board is the mind of the refrigerator that controls or gives instructions to other parts to function properly. If your control board of the Amana refrigerator is having some issues, try these steps to resolve or find out the actual cause.
Step 1: Power down the refrigerator by turning off the circuit breaker or unplugging it for at least 5 – 10 minutes.
Step 2: Start the registration by plugging it back in.
Step 3: Make sure that the cooling function of refrigeration is turned on.
Step 4: Test the controls functionality of your refrigerator.
Step 5: Ensure that the refrigerator is not set to demo, sabbath, or showroom mode.
Amana Fridge Ice Maker Troubleshooting
Follow these steps to ensure the Amana Fridge Ice maker is working fine.
Step 1: Ensure that the Ice maker is turned on.
Step 2: Check whether the water supply of the ice maker is connected to cold water and the water shutoff valve is open
Step 3: Ensure the ice maker’s ejector arm is not obstructed or frozen.
Step 4: In case of a jammed ice maker’s ejector, use a plastic utensil to rub off the excessive Ice
Step 5: Check your water filter as well; a jammed water filter can reduce the water flow to the ice maker, resulting in thin ice cubes or no production
Amana fridge not cooling is quite common. The same can be said for a non-working dispenser and compressor. However, you can solve most of these issues by inspecting the problem.
Once you understand where the issue lies, that’s the first step to the solution. This is an all-in-one guide for fixing many people’s various Amana refrigerator issues.
Some of the latest refrigerators come with the rest button.
Unplug your Amana refrigerator. After 5-10 mins, plug back the refrigerator and ensure the cooling function is on.
Refrigerator leveling plays a huge role in overcoming frost buildup, vibration, door not closing properly, and temperature fluctuations, among many other benefits.
If placed next to a refrigerator, the heating source will make the compressor work harder, which can impact the refrigerator’s performance in the long run.
The default settings are best for refrigerators. Aim the temperature to set between 35° and 38°F (or 1.7 to 3.3°C).