What you find on this page:
If your GE profile dishwasher is stopped working correctly, there are a few reasons, like a faulty control panel or switch. If you don’t know where to start, you should call a professional who can diagnose and repair the issue.
You can also try fixing the problem yourself, but it’s essential to know the correct procedure before starting. Follow these steps to GE profile dishwasher troubleshooting control panel problem.
GE Profile dishwasher troubleshooting control panel issues
GE Profile dishwasher control panel not working showing no lights at all)
Make sure the power cord is plugged into an electrical outlet. If the power supply is damaged, the dishwasher will no longer work, and the GE dishwasher control panel will not light up.
Look for loose wires or corroded connectors. Wires may have been exposed to water when the dishwasher was installed. Corroded connectors may cause intermittent problems.
For a GFI/GFCI outlet with a reset button, press Reset (on the outlet) to restore power. Make sure the dishwasher is powered on if a wall switch controls it.
If your dishwasher does not seem to be working after basic tests, call the company who installed it and ask them to check it. Remember to latch the door properly- this could be why the power seems out, and the control panel is not lighting up.
Control Lock Is Activated
Some models of dishwashers have a child lock feature that prevents children from opening the machine while it is operating. To deactivate Control Lock:
You need to press the LOCK pad twice within three seconds. When Control Lock is turned off, the lock icon will blink twice.
You’ll need to refer to your product manual for this task, but you can also try to find it online.
The touchpad is often covered with dust and debris, making it difficult to see your selected setting. Clean the touchpad with a soft cloth.
Touchpad buttons are sometimes hard to depress. Try pressing harder. If the touchpad still doesn’t respond, try removing the front cover and cleaning the buttons with a cloth.
In most models, this is done by holding a key for 5 seconds. Some displays are lit for as long as the power is on, but not all displays will remain lit when engaged. You can find out what the error code means in your model’s manual by looking up the code on display.
A faulty touchpad may make the controls appear to be frozen. If the touchpad is not responding, contact the manufacturer for replacement parts.
Faulty Main Control Board
The main board contains the circuit boards that connect the various components. It is located inside the dishwasher.
You can try unplugging and plugging the GE Profile dishwasher back in again. However, this may make the connection work again, or the entire board may need to be replaced.
You can test the control board by unplugging the machine and removing the motherboard. It can be done by plugging a known-working power supply into the motherboard.
A faulty main control board can cause the dishwasher to stop functioning. Contact the manufacturer for replacement parts if the fault persists.
Damaged Dishwasher Thermal Fuse
The thermal fuse in your dishwasher prevents it from overheating. When this fuse blows, you won’t have any lights on the control panel. You can use your dishwasher without problems, but you might need to replace or maintain some parts.
Ensure the heating element is functioning correctly if a dishwasher issue is not due to the controls. Any multimeter with a continuity setting can be used for this purpose.
You need to locate the thermal fuse. Often, it can be found next to the control board if it has been mounted vertically. Nonetheless, if it were mounted horizontally, the thermal fuse would be on the right side.
Fuse covers can be removed by carefully prying up the edges as close to the plastic as possible. Then, insert the two probes from your multimeter into the two holes on the fuse and turn it on.
Replace the thermal fuse if it fails the continuity test.
GE dishwasher no lights on the control panel
If your GE dishwasher is not lighting up the control panel, you can check a few things to see if it’s an issue with the wiring or the control panel itself.
1. Ensure all the power goes to the dishwasher and control panel. It can be tested by turning on all the lights in your home and checking to see if the dishwasher lights up. If it doesn’t, you may need to check the fuse box for the dishwasher.
2. Try resetting the dishwasher by unplugging it and plugging it back. It will clear any error codes stored on the control panel.
3. Try replacing the control panel. If this doesn’t work, it may be an issue with the wiring or board in the control panel.
GE dishwasher display not working
If your GE dishwasher display isn’t working, there are a few things you can do to troubleshoot the problem.
First, make sure that the power is turned on to the dishwasher.
Next, check to see if power is getting to the dishwasher’s control panel. If power gets to the control panel but the display isn’t working, you may have a broken wire or connector on the control panel.
You may have a faulty display if no power gets to the control panel.
GE dishwasher not responding
First, check to see if the water is flowing correctly.
Ensure the dishwasher’s water supply line is connected correctly and that no foreign object is blocking the flow of water.
Next, try resetting the dishwasher by unplugging it and then plugging it back in.
Finally, if all else fails, you may need to call a technician to repair or replace the dishwasher control panel.
GE Profile dishwasher start button not working
If the start button still doesn’t work, check to see if the power is on in your house. If the power is off, check if the dishwasher is plugged into an outlet.
If it’s not plugged in, plug it in and try starting it again. If it still doesn’t start, there may be something wrong with the control panel. And you may need to replace it.
GE Profile dishwasher control panel reset – Try this before moving on
- The PDW8000 GE profile dishwasher series can be reset by pressing the reset button just once- the process can take about 2 minutes.
- However, the process differs slightly for the PDW9000 series of GE profile dishwashers.
- The latter needs to be done by opening the door about an inch and waiting for the dishwasher to stop.
- Upon stopping, press/touch the reset button (once again)- the washing cycle will be canceled, and the panel will reboot.
- There is an alternative to the above button method if it does not work.
- If the reset button did not quite work to reset your dishwasher, try disconnecting it from power for a few moments, then reconnect it to power and see if it will work.
- You can either turn off the circuit breaker here or use the wall switch (depending on your specific model).
- Remember to wait 30 seconds (or so) before restoring power.
- Resetting the panel this way will likely work (you can also simply unplug it for 30 seconds).
Quick Tip: After the dishwasher resets itself, ensure the door is closed and fully latched, then try to press the appropriate buttons on the control panel (for a new cycle) to see if the problem is fixed.
GE Profile dishwasher control panel replacement
If your machine is broken, it may be necessary to replace the entire control panel.
To replace the whole front panel and door, you will probably have to remove the old one!
You can find replacement control panels on Amazon and other stores that match your current dishwasher model number. Make sure your order fits the model you currently have.
Replace GE profile dishwasher control board
Last but not least, consider replacing the control board (MCB).
The dishwasher will not work if the electricity from the control board doesn’t reach the control panel. This is because the dishwasher’s control panel needs a certain amount of voltage to operate. Therefore, a signal from the front control board must be sent to dishwashers without a control panel.
The fix above should be the last resort, so try all the other options before trying this one (and conduct enough tests since a misdiagnosis can be costly).
How much does the GE profile dishwasher control panel cost?
The GE Profile Dishwasher Control Panel costs $45 to $140. If you are looking for a good deal, check online. You might get lucky with some discounts.
If your control panel is damaged or malfunctioning, you can buy a new one. When purchasing a new GE Profile Dishwasher Control Unit, there are a couple of things you need to keep in mind:
1. Check model number. Your unit has to match your dishwasher model number exactly.
2. Look at the price. It should match the price listed on the product page.
3. Read reviews. Customer feedback can help you decide whether or not to purchase the unit.
4. Ask questions. There is no harm in asking the seller for more information regarding the item.
5. Buy from a reputable seller. Always go through a trusted retailer.
Does my GE dishwasher have a reset button?
Yes, your GE dishwasher has a reset button at the front of the control panel. To use the reset button, press and hold the power button until the display turns off.
Then release the power button and wait 2 minutes. After that, the machine should start up again. If the problem persists, contact GE customer service.
If your GE Profile dishwasher is not doing its job as it should, there are a few things you can do to troubleshoot the problem.
There is a possibility that the GE Profile dishwasher control is showing lights or no light at all. It could be a lock on the control, a defective touchpad, a faulty main control board, a damaged thermal fuse, a faulty display, the dishwasher not responding, a problem with the start button, etc.
Try resetting the GE Profile dishwasher control panel first. If it does not solve the problem, replace the control panel or the control board. Your dishwasher might need to be inspected by a professional if all of the above doesn’t work.
GE dishwashers need to be reset when they stop working. It happens when the machine has been running for an extended period. When the machine runs continuously, it may overheat.
The electronic parts inside the machine may be damaged if the machine overheats. Additionally, dust, debris, food particles, and water that remain in the machine after washing may block the drain pipe. Regularly clean the dishwasher to prevent this.
Complete these steps if you want to replace your dishwasher touchpad or control panel.
1. Disconnect your dishwasher from its power source.
2. The control panel should be removed from the door.
3. Remove the screws holding the control panel in place.
4. Then follow the instructions below to replace the control panel.
5. Carefully pull the control panel away from the dishwasher.
6. Now, put the new control panel into place.
7. Reattach all screws and tighten them securely.
8. Connect your dishwasher to its power source.
9. Check if the dishwasher has any leaks before connecting the wires. You can now test whether the controls work correctly.
10. If they do not, you will need to call a professional to help fix the issue.
Try pressing the START/RESET button on your GE dishwasher if the display panel appears to be blinking. If this doesn’t fix the problem, you can unplug or remove the power for 10 minutes. Then reconnect the dishwasher, and you should be able to begin a wash cycle. GE dishwasher diagnostic mode can identify the problem.