GE universal remotes are a convenient option for using with a wide range of TVs, DVD players, set-top boxes, and other devices. These remotes are durable and easy to use, but it’s possible to run into a few issues when programming them for use with a new device.
Read on to learn more about how to program a universal remote to a TV without codes.
Why Is My GE Universal Remote Not Working?
There are a few reasons that could explain why your GE universal remote isn’t working:
- Your GE universal remote needs some new batteries.
- You failed to pair the universal remote with your TV during the GE universal remote setup.
- You accidentally unpaired the universal remote from the device you had programmed it for.
- Dust or debris are causing some buttons on the remote to stick.
- GE universal remotes use infrared waves to communicate with devices. An obstacle can block the waves or the IR received on your TV.
How To Program GE Universal Remote Without Codes?
The GE universal remote programming process entails entering a code to indicate which device you want to control with the remote. This code helps the remote identify the device.
If you don’t have a code for the device you want to control with your universal remote, there are a few methods you can use.
Code Search Method
The fastest way to pair a GE universal remote with a device is to look for a code. Few devices will come with universal remote codes, but your GE universal remote should have a booklet with a long list of codes organized by brand.
You can also look for universal remote codes online. Here is how you can find the code you need:
- Open the back of your GE universal remote and remove the batteries.
- You’ll see a sticker with a model number. This number will tell you whether you own a GE CL3, CL4, or CL5 remote. Each version uses a different list of codes.
- Get the make and model of the device you want to control with the remote.
- Go online and look for GE universal remote codes for the remote model number and device you want to control. For instance, you can look up ‘GE universal remote codes for Roku.’
- You should find one or more codes you can try. Look for the setup button on your remote and press it until you see a red light.
- Next, press the device button. Enter the code you want to try on the number keys.
- You can then test the remote and see if you can turn the device on or off.
- If you can’t control the device, try a different code by pressing setup, then choosing a device button, and entering a new code.
Number Search Method
If you need to program GE universal remote without code, looking up codes online is the fastest way to pair your remote with a device.
However, there is another method you can use. GE universal remotes have a built-in feature that will search through all the codes available until it finds one that works.
Here’s how to program a GE universal remote without codes thanks to this method:
- Start by turning on the device you want to connect to the remote.
- Next, press the setup button on the remote. You’ll see a red light come on.
- Select the category of device you want to control. Your remote should have a TV button and buttons for streaming devices, Blu-Ray players, audio devices, and more.
- Make sure to point the universal remote at the device you want to find a code for.
- You can start testing codes automatically by pressing and releasing the power button.
- You’ll see a red light flash on your remote while it searches through codes.
- If the remote finds a code that works, this red light will turn solid, and the device you were programming the remote for will turn off.
How To Program GE Universal Remote Using Codes?
You can use the above methods if you’re wondering how to program GE remote without code. If you know the code for your device, you can save time by entering it into the remote directly.
Here’s how to program a GE universal remote using codes:
- Insert batteries into the remote and turn it on.
- Press the setup button and wait for the red light to come on.
- Next, select the device button corresponding to the type of device you want to pair the remote. If you can’t find a button corresponding to your device type, you can use any device button.
- You can then use the number keys to enter your code.
- Test the universal remote by pressing a few buttons to see if you can adjust the volume, change the input, or turn the device off.
GE CL3, CL4, and CL5 Universal Remote Codes
GE has an entire line of universal remotes. You might also have an old GE universal remote lying around.
It’s important to know that GE remotes use codes from three lists. Depending on your model, you might need to use a code from the CL3, CL4, or CL5 list.
You can find your remote model number by opening the battery compartment in the back of the remote and taking the batteries out. You’ll see a sticker with your remote model number. The original packaging for the remote should also come with a booklet with a list of codes you can use with your remote.
How To Program a GE CL3 Universal Remote Without Codes?
You’ll need to use the CL3 code list if you have an older GE remote. You can find a valid code online and look for a CL3 code for the device you want to control.
You can also use the auto search method described above.
How To Program a GE CL4 Universal Remote Without Codes?
Use the code list included with the remote or look for compatible CL4 codes online. The auto search method will also work.
How To Program a GE CL5 Universal Remote Without Codes?
The most recent GE universal remotes use the CL5 code list and can control a wider range of devices. You can use the auto search feature to save time, look for a CL5 code online, or find a compatible code in the booklet with your remote.
How To Program a GE 6 Universal Remote Without Codes?
GE is still using the CL5 code list for its most recent remotes. However, the brand makes a remote control that you can use with up to six devices.
You can enter your first code by pressing setup, selecting a device button, and entering a code. You can then repeat these steps to add more devices.
Why Can’t I Connect My Universal Remote to My TV?
You might be using the wrong code. Double-check that you’re using a CL3, CL4, or CL5 code, depending on the model of your remote.
You might have to try several codes before you find one that works, especially if you’re using the CL3 or CL4 code list and are pairing your remote with a newer device.
Resetting your remote might help. Here’s how to reset a GE universal remote:
- Press and back button together.
- Wait a few seconds, and the power indicator blinks three times.
- You’ve reset your remote and can start the programming process from scratch.
How To Use GE Universal Remote Codes for Set-Top Box?
You can control a wide range of devices with a GE universal remote, including a set-top box. Here’s how to do the GE universal remote setup without code for your set-top box:
- Turn the set-top box device on.
- Press setup on your remote and wait for the red light to come on.
- Press the CBL device button, short for Cable Set-top Box.
- Your GE remote will automatically test all the set-top box codes it’s compatible with.
- Your remote will turn off the set-top box once it finds a code that works.
Programming your GE universal remote should be straightforward. If you don’t have a list of codes for your remote, your best options are to look for a code online or use the auto code search feature. It can take a few minutes, but it’s more convenient than testing codes manually.
How do I auto-program a GE universal remote?
The auto-program feature is a great way to pair your remote with a device if you don’t have a code. Press the setup button and select a device button that corresponds to the device you want to control. You’ll see a red light blink on your remote while it looks for a valid code.
How do you manually program a GE universal remote?
If you have a code for the device you want to control, you can program it into your remote by pressing “setup” and selecting a device button. Enter the code on the remote and test it to ensure you can control your device.
What if codes don’t work for universal remote?
Try the next code in the list since GE remotes typically have several codes that can work with devices from a specific brand. Make sure you’re using a code from the correct list and double-check that your remote is compatible with this device. For instance, older remotes might not support new streaming devices.